The Charleston County School District (CCSD) is the second largest school system in South Carolina representing a unique blend of urban, suburban, and rural schools that span 1,000 square miles of coastal lands. CCSD serves just less than 50,000 students in 85 schools and several specialized programs. CCSD offers a diverse, expanding portfolio of options—including neighborhood, charter, magnet, IB (international baccalaureate), and Montessori schools—and is divided into elementary and early, middle, and secondary Learning Communities, each led by an associate superintendent. With approximately 6,500 employees district-wide, CCSD is the fourth largest employer in the region.
The mission of CCSD, a dynamic system of challenging educational choices, is to increase student achievement overall and close the achievement gaps in order to prepare all students to compete in a global economy and make a positive contribution to our community and nation.
Every child will graduate from CCSD with the critical skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in college and the 21st Century global workforce.
- We will place students at the center of all that we do; indeed, they will be the heart of the transformed system.
- We will significantly improve the support that we provide to our principals and teachers.
- Our people are our most important asset.
- We will implement a best-in-class system for attracting, developing, and retaining top talent.
- We will redesign our systems and processes to be highly effective in a student-centered environment.
- We will create and nurture a supportive and inclusive learning culture.
- We will adopt a proactive communications approach, eagerly seeking input and clearly and transparently sharing information in a variety of ways to all internal and external stakeholders.
- We will establish measures and means for regularly assessing progress on all fronts with clearly identified targets to guide decisions.